- Recreation, Parks, & Cultural Resources
- Signature Events
- West End Poetry Festival
- 2023-2024 Carrboro Poet Laureate Application
2023-2024 Carrboro Poet Laureate Application
CALL FOR CARRBORO POET LAUREATE 2023-2024
Carrboro, NC seeks applications for the position of Poet Laureate
Deadline: August 31, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. (EST)
Funding: $2,500 Honorarium for each year of two-year appointment
Contact: Charles Harrington - 919.918.7377 - firstname.lastname@example.org
• Open Call - July 15, 2022
• Application Deadline - August 31, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. EST
• Selection Process/Interviews - September/early October 2022
• Selection Announced - 2022 West End Poetry Festival, October 14-15, 2022
• Appointment - January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2024 (24 months)
The term of office is two years.
Residency in Carrboro is preferable, but not required.
This is not a salaried position.
Duties of the Carrboro Poet Laureate:
The Poet Laureate will:
1. Increase the presence of poetry in the day-to-day lives of Carrboro residents and visitors by promoting the writing, reading, and celebration of poetry in Carrboro.
2. Work with the Carrboro Poets Council (a subcommittee of the Carrboro Arts Committee) and the Town of Carrboro Recreation, Parks, & Cultural Resources Department to plan and facilitate the West End Poetry Festival.
3. Organize a weekly (single poem) poetry reading to take place during the weekly online or in-person meetings of the Carrboro Town Council in Carrboro Town Hall. These readings can be done by the Poet Laureate or Poets they solicit to read.
How to Apply:
1. Submit an application by August 31, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. (EST)
2. Finalists may be asked to interview.
1. The selection panel will recommend candidates to the Carrboro Arts Committee
2. The Carrboro Arts Committee will approve the final candidate
Eligible nominees must meet the following requirements:
• Be a poet with little, some, or substantial work published, with active projects in the last five (5) years.
• Show previous program planning and implementation experience.
• A personal or professional connection to Carrboro, North Carolina
Applications will be selected through a selection panel. Criteria for selection will be:
• Quality and strength of past work
• Potential to make a significant contribution to the cultural life of Carrboro
• Commitment to the role of poetry in civic life
• Availability of the artist for entirety of two-year term
• Demonstrated experience serving a linguistically and culturally diverse community
• Ability to plan and execute projects happening in Carrboro
1. Completed Poet Laureate Application Form (linked below)
2. Resume or CV of professional activities and achievements (maximum of 2 pages). List in chronological format (not narrative). Include significant awards and training, selected exhibitions, performances, presentations and/or publications.
3. Samples of Original Written Works limited to 10 works (poems, plays, fiction, interviews, reviews, creative non-fiction, etc.) or 10 pages, whichever comes first, with poetry fulfilling at least 5 pages.
1. Please submit a completed Poet Laureate Application Form. The form is accessible online at https://www.townofcarrboro.org/FormCenter/Recreation-Parks-and-Cultural-Resources--3/Carrboro-Poet-Laureate-Application-207
2. Those who prefer to complete a Word or PDF copy may contact email@example.com to obtain one. Send completed materials in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Carrboro Poet Laureate - (Your Name)
3. Applications are due on August 31, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. (EST)